An essential component in your professional life is the opportunity to ‘debrief’ in a safe and confidential environment. Supervision provides you with an opportunity to critically reflect on your professional practice, as well as develop your skills and knowledge in a deeply personal way.
Through effective professional supervision you will engage in critical reflection that raises issues, explores problems, and discover new ways of handling those tricky workplace challenges that confront you out of left field.
A critical aspect of supervision lies in its potential to enhance your professional persona by helping you to:
- Recognise what is important in your career and life
- Know what strengths and talents you can offer and how you can add value to an organisation
- Keep up to date with changes in your professional work place and your professional sector
- Identify any personal blocks or professional constraints honestly
- Develop a clear vision of your own worth and potential
- Identify broad aims and SMART goals
- Work through professional dilemmas when working with challenging staff
- Learn, grow and move ahead in your professional leadership role
- Be flexible
- Review your personal and professional progress regularly
- Adapt and change